putting on an engagement ring

What Is a K-1 Fiance(é) Visa?

If you and your partner have plans to marry and start this new chapter of your life in the United States, but your partner is a foreign national, there are a few hurdles you will need to jump first. One of the first steps you and your fiance(é) will need to go through to start your life in the United States is to obtain a K-1 visa. Our Fort Lauderdale immigration lawyers explain why a K-1 visa is needed and what you can do to obtain one.

K-1 Fiance(é) Visa

A K-1 visa is a type of immigration visa for United States citizens who want to sponsor their fiance(é) who lives abroad. However, there are a few requirements both partners need to meet to obtain a K-1 visa. We list these requirements below:

  • One of the partners must be a U.S. citizen

  • Both partners must intend to marry within 90 days of the fiance(é)’s admission to the United States

  • Both partners can get married in the United States as long as any previous marriages have been legally ended.

  • You and your fiance(é) met each other in person at least once within the last two years before filing Form I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiance(é).

How to Apply for a K-1 Visa

To apply for a K-1 visa, you must submit Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(é), and provide evidence of your citizenship status and in-person meetings that occurred within the last two years. If your application is approved, your fiance(é) will need to attend an interview and bring the required documents. They will also need to go through a medical exam and receive vaccinations. Once this process is complete, they will receive a passport and a K-1 visa so that they can enter the United States and marry within 90 days.

Obtaining a K-1 visa is a complex process. Get in touch with our Fort Lauderdale immigration attorneys today at (954) 874-8870 to learn more about the process.